Spool Knitting

I started this blog simply due to the fact that I find horrible Christmas sweaters to be one of the greatest Holiday treats in existence...right up there with decorating the tree and making jokes about fruitcake. However, even though there is plenty of disasterously wonderful knitwear out there, you just can't talk about embarrassing sweaters all the time...only a lot of the time.

I've been astounded by the interesting creations I've discovered concerning knitting and textile arts in general while writing this silly blog. One thing that has kept me intrigued is that it's an area of art in which I am not well versed or skilled...which brings me to today's topic.

Remember when you were a kid and you got that little kit that allowed you to weave potholders?








Yeah, great memories that one. Well, that pretty much explains my the extent of my abilities in the weaving/knitting/crocheting world. Oh, don't get me wrong; I've clacked a few needles together before, but the end result was always something along the lines of, 'well, I can just wind this back onto the ball...'

So yeah, I can't say that I have any real skills with the craft. However, one nifty little contraption I did discover a few years ago was the knitting spool. Basically, it's an old wooden thread spool with a few nails banged haphazardly into the top. (Well, mine is, but you know, some people get fancy.)

still nicer than mine...ehow



 fancy! Spoolknitter

(I just started looking up spool knitters and whoa...there are some elaborate deals out there...but I assume they all work about the same.)

Anyway, spool knitting is actually pretty easy to learn. 




Intense!

I have what I assume must be roughly 17 miles of spool-knitted rope. I have no idea what to make from it. I was just thrilled I could make rope. Some people are pretty talented though and take these very basic ideas to the next level...


I came across this blog where the artist Crispina FFrench is talking about a rug workshop using the potholder method. I was amazed by this red rug. I thought it was really a beautiful WIP. She's got some cool posts and her idea of 'sweater chopping' will be a future post for me. 


A 'Gnome hat' made from spool knit rope on an adorable child. The artist, Lara, has a lot of interesting craft work. I love this. It's so cute and colorful and looks like killer fun to make. 17 miles of rope...you can totally pull this look off at 29 right?

Right?

Comments

Unknown said…
This is a fantastic idea. I had the pot holder loom as a kid & loved it. Can't wait to try this. Not sure how to get enough of the material in the colors I will use. I'm thinking possibly multi color. Or maybe a couple of sheets to rip up. Thanks so much for this. gingerlee.u@gmail.com
jacqsierae said…
Oh how cute!
Looks like fun! but I would rather watch.
Unknown said…
I like to make some blankets for children or someone can use them

The Best of The Ugly Sweater